navmenu

about where sponsoring

Monday, September 26, 2011

Free Museum Day!

On Saturday, Rusty and I went with my dad to our local museum to celebrate the Smithsonian's Free Museum Day. My dad and I used to go at least once a year, so it brought back plenty of memories. I wanted to be an archaeologist, so museums are even extra fascinating to me. Rusty isn't a huge fan of museums, but he humored me and went anyway. :P


We went to the Panhandle Plains Historical Museum!





This bison thing is pure nostalgia for me. I remember first seeing it when I was around 6 years old, and I couldn't believe what these Indians were doing to this animal. Haha. My dad would always kinda steer me away from it when we went so I wouldn't get upset. Except this time.

This was inside a "house". All the windows had screens in them that had landscapes in them. They would change every 20 seconds or so through the seasons. It looked better in real life.

Rusty had to pull me away from this dress.

And I think I gurgled a few incoherent words about these shoes.

This dress was beautiful. It was worn by a local woman in 1920. She was freaking tiny. Our wedding was 1920's themed, so Rusty and I had a good long stare at this dress as well as the groom's tuxedo. (Which I somehow didn't get a photo of..?)


Here I am. Being awkward.

It looked cooler from this end. I even texted this photo to my mom, and she thought I was really driving it. (It also looks like I'm about to get hit head-on?)

This guy was scary looking.

But I love models.


Cute baby deer :(



I know all about evolution and all - but every time I see a monkey skull it hits me all over again.

I have this thing for elephants.



Rus. <3







Slingshot Deer (Or something like that)

These camel tracks were excavated right here in the panhandle. And of course my husband says, "Camel toe? Where?!" (Right in front of my father, too. Awkward.)

This is for Jenny! Huge land sloth.







Bison

Not to be confused with the bison bison.

This was a map where you could stick a post-it to where your ancestors were from. (That is not my post-it.)

(This isn't mine, either.)

After the museum, we went to the re-furbished Sears store. I had way too much of a laugh over this sign. (It REALLY says "repair parts and accessories"


My dad is handsome.


I was sad that my favorite exhibit Pioneer Town was closed for construction. It's a whole little "town" they have. It has several houses, a bank, the post office, a general store.. It is a huge exhibit and I was really looking forward to it. But I guess we'll try again next year. :)



1 comment:

  1. SLOTH!

    I can't believe someone put a swastika on their post-it.

    ReplyDelete