navmenu

about where sponsoring

Friday, June 1, 2012

Goodbye May. Hello June.


The month of May was very good to us. We found out the gender of our first child (a boy!), celebrated my 21st birthday, had two prenatal check-ups and an ultrasound, my mom visited twice, we finally got a security system installed, tried a few new recipes, enjoyed quite a bit of rain (for Texas, anyway), experienced weeks 19-23 of our pregnancy, and ate a lot of amazing food (because who doesn't like good food?). 

New {to me} movies:
When my mom was here for a weekend, we watched Winter's Bone. It has Jennifer Lawrence in it (from the Hunger Games) and I wanted to see it after hearing about her role in it. It wasn't what I expected, but she is an excellent actress and I think I may have a girl crush on her. My mom and I also watched Hope Floats. She couldn't believe I hadn't seen it before. I usually don't watch many "chick flicks", but my pregnant hormones appreciated it. Ned Kelly was one of those movies that I only watched because it had Orlando Bloom in it. Okay, and Heath Ledger. But it did turn out to be pretty good. And finally, last night I watched Pompeii: The Last Day. It's an hour long documentary that's been "dramatized", kind of like a mini-movie. A few years ago, I was able to see the Pompeii Exhibit while it was in Houston. They had real casts of some of the bodies, and two whole rooms full of artifacts from the city. It was neat to see these actors in the real ruins acting out what happened on the day of/day after. There were a few journals found of a few people who had written the event down as it happened. (All of the above movies are on Netflix instant!)

Books I read this month:
In My Hands: Memories of a Holocaust Rescuer by Irene Opdyke. I am really loving anything historical lately, and this memoir really did it for me. This is probably the 10th book I've read in the past year about the Holocaust. It was chilling and heartwarming all at the same time. Irene helped a bunch of people and risked her own life while doing so. Breath, Eyes, Memory by Edwidge Danticat takes place in Haiti, and later in the US. Ever since the stuff about Kony came out and the controversy surrounding it, I wanted to decide for myself what I thought so I've been reading more about the history. This book was fiction, but it was still interesting to read. Sad in places, though. Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson was the first young adult book I've read in a while, but I had gotten the e-book for free so I decided to give it a whirl. It was one of those typical teen romances, but it was neat that it took place over a road trip and showed photos/snippets from each "stop" they had. I received an advanced copy of The Sandalwood Tree by Elle Newmark about a year ago, and since it was in a weird place on my bookcase, I just got around to reading it. It's since been released, and it takes place in India. I really enjoyed this one - it weaves two stories together that take place 90 years apart. Plus, I love India. And lastly, Bride of New France by Suzanne Desrochers. This is also one I received as an advanced copy, but it was published earlier this year. I received this one from the publisher for a review last week, and the lovely cover drew me in. This one takes place in Paris in the 1660's, and later in what is now Canada. There's some French spoken in it, and I don't know French, so of course some of the phrases I just have to skip over, but it's still a decent read. View my Goodreads here

590056392_large
And now for June!

Calender:
June 6th - 24 weeks pregnant // Arlo reaches viability 
June 8th - Gestational Diabetes test 
June 10th - True Blood premier! (Yes. This belongs on the calender.)
June 13th - 25 weeks pregnant
June 17th - Father's Day!
June 20th - 26 weeks pregnant
June 23rd - Pridefest // Craft show!
June 27th - 27 weeks pregnant // 3rd Trimester! 
June 28th - Prenatal Check-up

Arlo will enter June at 11.38" long and just over a pound - and leave it at 14.5" inches long and just under two pounds! That is a lot of growing. We also reach viability this month - meaning he can survive outside the womb if we go into labor anytime after that. Another big thing happening this month is our local Pridefest. It didn't take place last year, so it will be so nice to go this year! They are having vendors this year, and I was asked to be participate. I can't wait! And yes - True Blood. I have an addiction to this show that started last year and hasn't slowed down a bit. I admit, the show is a little crazy.. but I love it and can't wait for it to return.

Vote For Us @ TopBabyBlogs.Com - A Top Baby Blog List By topbabyblogs.com

3 comments:

  1. I love monthly wrap-ups and think everyone should have one!
    Hope Floats is one of my favorites and I loved Amy & Roger's Epic Detour because of the road trip snippets!
    Yay for June! Can't believe your pregnancy is already over halfway done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! It's fun to look back over the last month and see what all you've done.

      I can't believe it's so far, either! Ahhh! 17 weeks or less until he's here. Seems unreal!

      Delete
  2. Hi Natasha! I'm new to your blog and just wanted to stop to say hello, (was pointed over here by Delirious Rhapsody). I have to admit, I added you to my blogroll immediately when I saw you're from Amarillo! My Mom grew up in Canyon, which you probably know is nearby, and I still have some family there and in Amarillo, so I've been there a lot and know it well! I think you're the first blogger I've known about that's from the panhandle, so I'm just tickled. : )

    I love wrap-up posts, too! Congratulations on your baby boy! Boys are so much fun!

    Sorry I wrote a novel. Looking forward to following your posts!

    ReplyDelete