navmenu

about where sponsoring

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Reads.

These are my first books of 2013! I realize we are kind of "in" 2013 already, but I can't read as much as I used to. ;) I usually read when Arlo is nursing or when he's asleep for the night. Babies require a ton of attention. Who knew?! Here are the books I've read so far this year:

Slammerkin Frozen
Slammerkin by Emma Donoghue | Frozen by Mary Casanova
Emma Donoghue is the author of Room, and it got a lot of buzz when it first came out. It was a very sad but very good book, and I was really excited to get an offer to read an advanced copy of Slammerkin from the publishers. Slammerkin is about a young girl in the 1700's who desperately wants a red ribbon but can't afford it. She trades a kiss and something more for it - and later she's kicked out of her home by her mother. Soon, she is taken in by a prostitute and is soon learning the trade. The downward spiral continues until she is hanged for murder. 
Frozen was another advanced copy about Sadie Rose who doesn't speak as a result of tragic events at a very young age. After finding some photographs of her mother, she starts remembering details of the night her mother died - which helps her find her voice again.

The Paradise Guest House: A Novel Sundays at Tiffany's
Paradise Guest House | Sundays at Tiffany's

The Paradise Guest House takes place in Bali. Jamie was a victim of the nightclub bombings, and after battling some inner struggles, she decides to go back to Bali for the one year anniversary of the attacks. This one was a pretty quick read and had a pretty good romantic twist in it.
Sundays at Tiffany's was one of the books that I remember from working at Barnes and Noble. I always had to "face out" books on the shelves, and for some reason this one was always faced out it seems. When I found a brand new copy of this at a local thrift store for $.60, I figured "what the heck?" and picked it up. Because seriously.. paying $.30 for paperbacks and $.60 for hardbacks is awesome. (For you local folk, I go to Thrift City on 10th & Monroe - the whole back room is full of books!) So anyway. I gave James Patterson a shot. Jane grows up with an imaginary friend named Michael. After having to leave her on her 8th birthday, he tells her that she won't remember him when she grows up.. except she does. Now she's 30 years old with a loser boyfriend and she can't stop thinking about Michael. One day she runs into him - except he's not imaginary anymore. I'm not typically a romance reader, but since having Arlo, I like having a good happy cry every now and then. What is up with me? I cry over baby pictures on Instagram (Jenny's Henry is pretty cute!) and I cry every day watching Ellen. (Actually, I did that before I was ever even pregnant, too) Here's a promise to myself that I'll never get in to those dime romance novels. You know - the ones that have a cover like this:

*shudder*
At least it makes me feel better about my most recent book - The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger.
The Time Traveler's Wife
I actually really, really, really enjoyed this one. There were a few times I had to set it down and think, okay, so he's 38 and 7 at the same time? What? My brain had a hard time (we're teething over here so my brain=mush) but the deeper into the story I got, the more I loved it. It's another romance, in case you haven't heard about it. :P The ending caught me off guard. Hard. I finished the book around 2am one evening (morning?) and I had to stop myself from waking Rusty up to get a massive hug. I just downloaded the movie onto our DVR and I'm really excited to watch it. Though we can only watch movies in 15 minute intervals with Arlo.. but that's okay. We have some baby monitors on their way from Amazon as we speak, so when they get here we can actually leave him in bed while we go to the den and watch movies. We can't ever hear him if he cries when we're back there, and that digs at my heart. Who wants to leave their crying baby by themselves?! And why didn't I register for baby monitors to begin with? I don't know. Sigh. I just started a new book last night, so I'll do another one of these when I finish a few more books - which may be a few months away. Ha! 
My Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment